Saturday, October 1, 2011

What a Little Houdini!!

So, we had a very interesting night last Monday night. Max has revealed his first magic trick, and it was a good one! He went to bed around 8pm with no problems. Normally he should sleep straight through the night until 3am when he's ready to eat again. Not that night; he basically woke up about every 2 hours and I think it's because he needed to poop (which will make more sense in a minute). After waking up at 9:30, and we thought, "huh, that's weird for him to wake up right now." Tyler put him back down, not expecting to hear from him again until 3am. Not the case. When he woke up at 12:30am, I discovered that his diaper had slid off his booty and he had pooped all over himself and his pi's. I cleaned him up, fed him, and put him back to bed.

Then, Max woke up at 2:30am. This time Tyler went to get him and he had pooped all over the place again! I heard Tyler say (through the baby monitor), "Why is he so wet?" and then "How the heck did this happen?" I continued to listen through the monitor as Tyler yelled for my help. Max had once again pooped outside his diaper. This time it was all over him, his pi's, his swaddle wrap, and the bed. He had to be completely stripped down and changed. Tyler grabbed the first pi's he could find, fed him, and came back to bed.

At 5am, Max was awake again, and I just could not imagine what he could need or want. So, I turned off the monitor for a little while. (I'm clearly not going to win the "mother of the year" award any time soon, so please don't judge me). He continued to cry, but I fell asleep anyway from being exhausted. I woke up at 6am and he was still screaming, so I jumped up and rushed into his room. I felt so bad that he probably had been crying for that whole hour. Anyway, when I leaned down to pick him up out of his crib, I was shocked to find a NAKED BABY! He was completely naked (except for his diaper), and laying in the crib screaming. He had kicked his legs so hard that he had wiggled off his pi's and his snuggle wrap. For those of you that don't know what a "snuggle me" wrap is, it's more or less like a straight jacket for babies. It's another way to swaddle them and uses velcro to secure it. You wrap them in it instead of using blankets and it's nearly impossible for them to move or get out of. Max is the exception! Not only was he naked, but we forgot to turn the heat on upstairs and it was 68 degrees in his room. He was NAKED and FREEZING! I scooped him up, dressed him, snuggled him the best I could and rushed downstairs to tell Tyler. Before you go calling DCS on me, I will tell you that he was actually completely fine, but I felt like the worst mother ever for turning off that monitor while he lay there crying and freezing for an hour. I certainly won't do that again! It was a crazy night; what a "Little Houdini" we have on our hands!!

4 comments:

  1. Silly little boy.. And don't feel too bad. He knows you love him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy,
    Thank you for all your sweet comments. I really appreciate that you keep up with the blog and comment frequently. That's good motivation for me to keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy,

    I found your blog awhile ago and have been following Max's story, and praying for your family. He is such a cutie!!

    I wanted to tell you that I totally know about turning the monitor off and falling asleep. I did that twice when my son was younger and I always felt the same way about not winning the "mother of the year" award. I remember waking up in a panic, jumping out of bed, and running into my son's room. The two times it happened I would think "I'll just turn the monitor off for a few minutes and then turn it back on", but then I ended up falling asleep. I felt awful when I did that, but my son is 15 months old now and he's happy as can be and still loves me even after that :) Just wanted to give you some encouragement and let you know you're not alone!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilarious!! That little turkey sounds like he is keeping you guys on your toes! You sound like you're doing a great job. I am definitely the same type mom as you. It doesn't hurt a thing to let them cry from time to time. Looking forward to seeing you in January when I come back.
    Kelly Cochrane

    ReplyDelete